Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hawaiian Honeymoon Activity: Snorkling

I wish I had pictures - I really wish it do, but I don't own an underwater digital camera and you don't want to see the pictures the disposable underwater cameras provide, they just don't do it justice.

As I said last time, we went on a snorkeling trip with a couple of honeymooners. It was fun to watch them and see first hand how such a trip worked out for them considering that it has been... well, let's just say it's been a few years since my own honeymoon.

It was especially instructive considering that one of them (I won't say which for the sake of their anonymity) did not know how to swim.

Really.

I have known people who skipped a snorkeling trip because they couldn't swim. Big mistake.

There is no way you want to miss out on seeing the coral reefs teeming with colorful sea life dancing in and out of view like a top quality Broadway show.

You just don't.

I am serious. One of them could not swim, but they had a great time. The tour provided life vests and those foam "noodles" along with masks and fins. So the one that swam helped the other and they were able to be a part of the adventure with the rest of us.

To see the eels and parrot fish, yellow tang, butterfly fish, trumpet fish, surgeon fish, sea turtles, dolphins swimming just feet below or from us. It was gorgeous.

Now how do you overcome the photo problem on your honeymoon snorkeling adventure? I learned - once again from our honeymooning couple who were on the ball. They took a trip down to a local scuba and snorkeling shop where they were able to rent an underwater digital camera on a 24 hour basis. Smart move. Now they have an entire disk of great pictures (at least in theory) and I have my memories and a few grainy pictures from a disposable.

Next time I will - and I would advise anyone planning a Hawaiian honeymoon to budget a few extra dollars to preserve the memory.

What to bring: A good tan and lots of sunscreen (the sun is strong in Hawaii). Cover up. Towel. Sun glasses. Footwear that can get wet such as flip flops. Wear your swimwear as most have no place to change.

Our tour provided a snack between snorkeling locations (they took us to two locations for variety) of fresh seasonal fruit, chips, and beverage.


No comments:

Post a Comment